As we welcome prospective families to The Country School, we urge them to consider the significant advantages of a K-8 school:
- Several national research studies have found that a K-8 setting enhances academic, social, emotional, and individual development and success. Studies confirmed higher academic achievement, significantly higher standardized test scores, higher levels of participation in extra curricular activities, greater leadership skills, and less likelihood to be victimized than in a middle school setting.
- K-8 schools are more intimate environments that allow children to be well known by a faculty that has taken an active interest in them from the time they were little. Lower School teachers know almost every student in the school, and Upper School teachers consult with them regarding a student’s history, learning needs, and family dynamic. Enduring relationships help create a healthier environment in which to grow up.
- A K-8 environment allows children the chance to develop at a slower pace, in keeping with their chronological age, outside the influence of older teenagers.
- Parents at K-8 schools stay more connected to their children’s school experiences, particularly beyond the elementary years. This involvement has been found to be highly correlated to enhanced student success.
- Rising sixth graders don’t have to experience the stress that can come with a school transition at a time when, developmentally, there are already other very significant challenges of early adolescence to master. “Research suggests that the onset of puberty is an especially poor reason for beginning a new phase of schooling.”
- Research has found that middle grades students behave differently in a K-8 setting than they do in a middle school setting. They are more likely to maintain a seriousness of academic purpose. They assume the role of “protector and role model as opposed to having to establish new reputations upon entering middle school” (Locke, 2002).
- Students in a K-8 school take on leadership roles at an earlier age. Our Kindergarten-Eighth Grade Buddy Program fosters important connections, increased confidence, and greater poise for both the younger and the older children in our school.
- Research has found clear evidence that the K-8 model has a significant positive impact on openness to learning, student behavior, and overall academic achievement.
- We work closely with 8th grade families to discern the best placement for high school and then gain entrance to that school. Our alumni are considered amongst the best prepared students in their secondary school settings.
Ultimately, the Kindergarten through eighth grade program at The Country School allows our children’s unique voices to be fully encouraged in an environment that is tailor made for their developmental levels. Click to see students in action in our video.